Do you need a green card? Do you want to become a lawful permanent resident in the United States? If so, you’re probably wondering whether you need a lawyer to get a permanent residence card. Scroll down to find out!
Why You Need an Immigration Lawyer
The U.S. government issues more than a million green cards every year. Most are given to family members of U.S. citizens and current green card holders, as well as workers from other countries seeking employment in the United States.
A green card allows a non-US citizen to have legal permanent residency in the United States. With a green card, you can live and work in the United States indefinitely, and it is your first step toward becoming a naturalized U.S. citizen.
There are several steps to follow when applying for a green card:
- Determine whether you are eligible
- File a petition
- Check visa availability
- Go to your interview at the USCIS office
- Wait for a final decision
Even though it seems easy, the process of obtaining a green card can be time-consuming and complicated.
- First of all, there are limits on the number of immigrant visas available each year. So there is a long waiting period before a green card can actually be issued.
- There are numerous eligibility requirements. You must prove that you don’t pose a danger to U.S. society on financial, health, security, immigration violation, or criminal grounds. For example, if you conceal something on your immigration application, have a certain health problem, overstayed a visa by six months or more, or you and your family sponsor can’t show enough income and assets to cover your household expenses in the U.S., you might be found inadmissible.
- You also need to make sure all documentation you present is filled out correctly and handed in on time. I know, there are forms and guides available online, and you may prefer to fill out immigration forms yourself. But keep in mind that making a mistake in the process can result in processing delays, the return of the application, or even denial. You want success, don’t you?
Long story short, applying for a green card isn’t easy for anyone. But there’s good news. If you need guidance in applying for a green card or have a complex legal matter related to this area of immigration, an experienced lawyer can guide you through the whole process and help you receive the permanent resident status to legally live and work in your dream country.
By hiring a green card immigration lawyer, you can avoid costly errors, ensure you do not miss any deadlines, and learn what you can do to minimize the risk of your application being denied.
Get In Touch with an Immigration Lawyer from Our Trusted Network
If you are looking for an experienced green card immigration lawyer, try out AppearMe for Consumers.
With AppearMe you don’t need to ask for recommendations, look at online reviews, and arrange meetings with lawyers. All you need is:
- Submit a request by providing details on your legal matter
- Receive proposals
- Select a lawyer.
Best part? You get matched with a pre-vetted lawyer in a matter of minutes.
If you have any questions, feel free to contact us at (888) 900-3080 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org. We’d love to hear from you!